Friday, December 21, 2012

A Review: Anne of Green Gables

I really enjoyed reading Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. There are so many parts in the book that I love, but I’ll try to pick out three of my favorites. I really enjoyed how the author describes every event through Anne’s optimistic point of view. I also like how Anne is so adventurous and talkative. I really like the book all together. 

One of my favorite parts is when Anne breaks the slate over Gilbert Blythe’s head. It all starts when Gilbert teases Anne by calling her hair “carrots.” Anne becomes furious because she hates it when people criticize her looks. She stands up in class and picks up her slate and slams it on his head. She, then, never speaks to him for a while, and she denies his request for forgiveness until later on in the book. 

My second favorite part of the book is when Anne sees a peddler on the road, and the peddler says that the dye would turn her hair a beautiful raven black, but, instead of turning her hair raven black, it turns it into an ugly green color. Marilla finds Anne crying in her bed with the covers over her head. She asks Anne what she’s doing, and Anne replies by saying, “I dyed my hair.” Marilla then has to cut Anne’s hair very short. That time vanity got the best of her. 

My third favorite part of the book is when Diana becomes drunk. It begins when Anne invites Diana over for tea while Marilla is out. Marilla told Anne that they could have cake and raspberry cordial out of the cellar. When Diana arrives, Anne acts like a wonderful hostess. When she goes to get the cordial, she picks up the current wine instead by accident. Not realizing her mistake, Anne tells Diana that she can have as much “Raspberry Cordial” as she wants. When Anne is in the kitchen preparing the cake, Diana has several glasses of the current wine and becomes drunk as Anne returns from the kitchen. Diana says that she has to go home, but Anne does not understand why, so she follows Diana home and realizes that Diana was, in fact, drunk. And Diana’s mother does not let Diana or Anne speak to each other until Anne helps out her family in a surprising way.

This book is the kind of book I’m going to remember for many reasons. The characters are cool, and Anne is always talking. The setting of the book is great, and the description of everything is awesome. It really is a great book.
By Victoria Scarlett Doman

No comments:

Post a Comment