Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Final Chapter: The Bronze Bow

The soldier blinked, confused. “But – but – I’m a Roman! It is against your customs to let a Roman soldier into your house.” Daniel nodded, unable to speak. “Why do you want me in your house?” Marcus challenged. “You hate me.” Daniel cleared his throat and spoke gruffly.

“I know – and – and I was –” Daniel forced himself to finish the sentence in a level tone. “I was wrong. About you, I mean. You have done my sister great kindness.” Daniel could barely speak the words. “Before you leave, I would be very much honored if you would step inside and talk to Leah.” Marcus stood unsure a moment as Daniel opened the door. Then, removing the helmet, Marcus swiftly strode into the house, his eyes searching for Leah.  As Marcus stepped into Leah’s room, she opened her eyes. Daniel, standing behind Marcus, saw a soft light creep into the once sorrowful eyes. The tenderness and emotion that clearly expressed itself hurt Daniel. He caught his breath and went outside. He fought back the rising emotions. “Remember what Jesus would want,” he repeated. A cool hand slipped into his. It was Thacia. “Thace? You’re still here?”

“I’ve been here awhile. I left when I saw Marcus going in, because...” Thacia’s voice trailed off and Daniel finished her sentence. “Because Jewish law declares that you cannot be in the same house as a Roman.” Thacia nodded. “Daniel, what are you going to do?” Daniel sighed. “I suppose I’ll re-open the shop and keep working. There’s not much left for me to do –or work for.” Daniel gave a bitter, short laugh. Thacia shuddered slightly at the sound of it. “I meant about Jesus. He’s gone to Jerusalem. Joel said that some of his disciples said that Jesus talked about being put to death there. Daniel, if he is...” Daniel started. “What? Put to death? Thace, I need to go to Jerusalem. Can you take care of Leah?” Thacia looked reluctant and slightly annoyed. “Daniel, you know the Jewish law. And Marcus will want to see Leah.”

“Leah needs someone better than Marcus to take care of her. You can watch them from the garden – the garden isn’t the same as the house, is it?” Daniel pleaded.

“That’s stretching it, but it will have to do,” Thacia agreed halfheartedly.  Entering the house, Daniel strode into the front room, grabbing a walking stick and a cloak. “Daniel!” a soft voice called from the doorway into the other room. Daniel turned to see Leah. Daniel’s face hardened. “What?” he asked rather harshly.

“I brought you some food for your journey.”

“What?”

“You’re going to Jerusalem, aren’t you? To see the preacher Jesus?”

Daniel strode into the garden. “Thace, why did you tell Leah where I was going?”

“Because she needed to be told. You can’t just leave Leah without her knowing!” Thacia’s voice rose angrily. “She shouldn’t need to be told,” Daniel replied hotly.

“She’s not a child anymore – she needs to know!”

“Adults don’t need to know where other adults are going – only children need to be told,” Daniel replied cuttingly, but, before Thacia could reply, a voice called out from the front. “Is Daniel bar Jamin here?”

Marcus was inside, standing, unsure of what to do. “Slip out into the alley – you may come back tomorrow,” Daniel muttered to Marcus as he went to greet the caller. He stepped out the front door, shutting it carefully behind him. The man was a messenger, from his appearance.

“Is a young woman named Thacia here?” questioned the man. “If she is, what concern of yours is it?” Daniel demanded. “This is for her, if she is here – and I know she is. I was told I would most likely find her at this shack,” the messenger smirked as he handed Daniel a small scroll, shaking his robes as if shaking off some contaminated object as he strode arrogantly through the streets to be pelted with pebbles and names. Thacia came out and took the scroll from Daniel, unrolling it and reading it. She turned pale. “Father says I must return home at once. I am not to come here again. Daniel, I can’t take care of Leah, which means that Marcus must.” Daniel rushed into the alley, where Marcus was still waiting. “Marcus, you must look after Leah. Thacia is leaving and I am going to Jerusalem – no one but you will willingly look after Leah.” Marcus replied slowly. “Of course, you must realize that if I were to help with Leah, it would mean desertion from my legion.” Daniel was desperate. “Please? I’ll only be gone a few days and you’re the only one I can count on – if you leave she will never fully recover.”  

“Very well. I shall do my best to leave unnoticed.” Daniel hurried to the front to say goodbye to Thacia, only to discover that she was gone. Daniel kicked the dust angrily. “I may as well leave now.” Daniel set off for Jerusalem. 

The next day, instead of going around Capernaum, as he usually did, he went right through Capernaum – secretly hoping to bump into Joel – or better, Thacia. Daniel lingered around Joel’s house as long as he dared without making himself conspicuous. After an hour, he gave up and left the town. The landscape melted from city streets to vineyard covered hills. As Daniel was making a shortcut through a vineyard, he heard a shout. “Daniel!” Daniel turned to see Joel leaping like a young goat through the vineyard. The two met, clapping each other on the back. “I heard that you were going to Jerusalem. Thacia told me. I wish to come with you. Usually I wouldn’t be allowed to leave the house, but I told father I was going to the synagogue – Jesus is causing a stir and the Pharisees and Sadducees have been talking to him in the synagogue – perhaps I will see such a meeting.”

“Is Thacia coming?” Daniel inquired eagerly. Joel’s face fell. “No. Father has forbidden her to leave the house without parental supervision. He fears another meeting between you and Thacia.” Daniel shouldered his bag. “He need not fear. Thacia would not marry me – we argued before she left.” Joel began walking ahead. “We shall see what happens.” After a few more days of walking, the boys came to a winding road that led down into the road that led into Jerusalem. Joel pointed. “Look!” The walls of the temple rose, casting a black shadow against the setting sun which painted the sky with radiant reds and golds. “We’re almost there.” As Daniel and Joel approached the entrance to the city, they were stopped by two Roman guards. “Ho, there! What brings two little boys into the big city of Jerusalem?” one questioned with an amused look on his face. Daniel clenched his fists and tried to remember what Jesus told him. “Help me,” Daniel prayed. Joel spoke up. “We came to visit the temple. It is Passover time.”

“I know when the Jewish holidays are – they make enough fuss over them. Jewish, eh? Are you related to the Jesus preacher by any chance?” The first soldier was doing all the talking.

“No.” Joel looked quizzical.

“They’re fine. Let them pass.” The first Roman soldier waved to his companion to let the two boys through. Daniel and Joel hurried through to the outskirts of the city. Daniel looked at the temple looming large and grand, towering over the city, and suddenly felt small and insignificant. He had never been to Jerusalem before. “How do we find Jesus?” he asked.

“Easy. Just head into the temple and there should be some great debate between the leaders of the synagogues and Jesus.” Joel gave a half grin. Making their way to the temple was not as easy as it sounded. The streets were packed with people who had come to Jerusalem for the Passover. Joel grabbed Daniel’s arm and pulled him into a side-street which was dark and nearly empty. They caught their breath before Joel tugged Daniel’s arm again and pulled him through a network of dark side-streets and alleyways before Joel stopped again. “Joel, what are you doing?” Joel shushed him and looked around. Daniel glanced to his left and froze. There was a dark shadow looming around the corner. “Joel!” Daniel croaked in a loud whisper, grabbing Joel’s arm.

“What?”

“Over there,” Daniel nodded. The figure walked forward, holding a clay lantern. Daniel squinted through the thickly falling darkness at the face which was covered by a rough hood. A delicate hand pushed back the hood to reveal:

“THACE?” Daniel had never been so surprised – or annoyed. All that worrying for a mere girl: and Thacia at that! Joel laughed at Daniel’s expression. “B-b-ut-but – aren’t you supposed to be at home?”

Thacia grinned as she handed the lantern to Joel. “Yes and no. I’m supposed to be at home but I got permission from Father to come to the temple. Aunt Martha and Aunt Mary live close to here so we can stay at their house. They’re also close friends with Jesus.”

Daniel tried to cover his annoyance by saying gruffly, “Well, that’s all very well, but how are we supposed to find our way back to the outskirts of the city in the dark? Jerusalem isn’t the safest city.”

“Grab my robe. I know the way to Aunt Mary and Martha’s house from here.” Joel offered his sleeve to Thacia. “Daniel, grab Thace’s cloak.” Joel took the lantern and led the way. After a half hour of stumbling through tiny alleyways and dark side-streets, Joel finally turned onto a larger street. Peering at the house fronts, Joel found the one he was looking for and knocked. The door opened a crack. “Who is it?” A hushed voice whispered. “It’s me, Aunt Mary – Joel. Thacia’s with me, and a friend, Daniel.”

The door opened wider. “Joel! Come in, come in – but who is this friend?”

“His name is Daniel. He’s a Jew,” Thacia replied quietly as if to dispel any doubt about Daniel’s character.

“He is welcome here.”

The three were led into a larger room. “Mary? Joel and Thacia are here.”

A woman came out of a smaller room. “Joel! Thacia! How wonderful it is to see you again! This is a pleasant surprise – but we were not expecting you. Your father forgot to send notice again, but that does not matter. Let me get you something to drink. I know it is a long way from Capernaum, and, knowing you two, you must have walked the whole distance in one day! You may have to sleep on the floor, I’m afraid, but we may be leaving this house and going into the country soon. How are your father and mother? I’m surprised that they did not come down here with you. You must read from the Torah on the Sabbath, Joel. Lazarus has gone with the disciples to accompany Jesus to the temple, and I fear he will not be back for some days. Thacia, dear, I hear that your dancing is getting on very nicely. You must dance for us very soon. Tomorrow night, perhaps?” Aunt Martha continued chattering as she set places for Joel, Thacia, and Aunt Mary at the small table.

Joel tried to break in politely. “Aunt Martha? This is our friend Daniel. He will be staying with us, if that is alright with you.”

“Oh! Well why did you not say so sooner? I shall fetch an extra plate.” Aunt Martha bustled off.

“Have you heard anything about Jesus?” Aunt Mary glanced hesitantly at Daniel.

“No, nothing other than that they will be having Passover together in a friend’s house.” Dinner was silent and uncomfortable – for Daniel especially. He rose at the end of the meal. “Thank you very much for the meal, Mrs. Martha, Mrs. Mary –” and strode out of the house, making sure not to slam the door behind him. Thacia excused herself and went out after him. Daniel was sitting on the doorstep. 

“I’m sorry about that Daniel. I did not know that Aunt Martha and Aunt Mary would be so suspicious towards you. Things must have gotten worse in the city.”

Daniel did not look at Thacia. “Why are you here?”

“To come to the temple. I did want to pray – also, I heard that Jesus might be put to death and I wanted to be here.”

“What are you going to do, after this is all over?”

“Return home, I suppose,” Thacia said reluctantly and slowly.

“Then I wish you all the happiness that I can offer.” Daniel replied in a monotone voice, as if rehearsing a script.

“No you don’t!” Daniel turned in surprise at the sharp exclamation.

“You don’t wish me all the happiness you can offer. If you did you’d do what we both know would be the best thing. We keep meeting and the same issue comes up and we never resolve it. Either you love me or you don’t. Choose now so I know how to treat you.”

“Treat me? You want to know how I feel so that you can treat me a certain way?” Daniel asked angrily.

Thacia flushed. “That’s not how I meant it.”

“Every time we meet we seem to argue about something.”

“That’s because you are so sensitive and take everything I say and twist it or misinterpret it.”

“It’s my fault then?”

“Yes! If you would try and be sensible and think about what I’m trying to say, then maybe we wouldn’t argue so much.”

“I think your decision is clear: you may treat me in the way you so long to!”

“And what way is that?”

“Disdain and scorn.”

“And how have you arrived at that conclusion?”

“Is that not always how you have wanted to treat me?

“No! When I first met you, I admit that my only thoughts were of scorn and distaste and disdain. But I’ve changed – as have you. Ever since that night with the Roman soldiers, I haven’t known how to behave around you. Everything about our relationship has been up in the air and tossed back and forth. I don’t know what to do around you: that’s what I meant about treating you.”

“We both know why you went home a couple days ago.”

“You also know what Father has promised.”

“It always comes back to this.”

“So choose. Which do you want: me, or Father’s approval?”

Daniel was silent. “You know I want you. But your father: we must have his blessing, as is tradition.”

“Father will give his blessing, and he must.”

“Then – I choose you, no matter what your father may say, since he has a promise to fulfill.”

Thacia smiled, and Daniel breathed a sigh of relief. Just then, a man came running up to the house, panting and disheveled.

“Who are you?” Daniel stood up.

“Friend… of Jesus... James son of Zebedee. Who are you?”

“Daniel bar Jamin.”

“The blacksmith? Simon... talked of you.”

“What’s the matter?” Thacia inquired nervously.

“Jesus… arrested… Roman guards... that traitor!”

“Who’s a traitor?” Daniel was confused.



“Judas Iscariot…. He betrayed Jesus and all of us. Jesus is being taken.... to the temple to be questioned... by the Sanhedrin and the... Pharisees.” 


– By Samantha Jennings

1 comment: